Join us this Saturday for a special Mother’s Day event! Stop by the library’s front lawn and make handmade paper for someone you love — or just for you! We’ll see you Saturday from 1 pm – 3 pm, and don’t forget your mask!
Join CFP Swissvale this Saturday for Make it to Grow lesson #3: Handmade paper embellished with real pressed and dried flowers! Our paper pulp recipe has antibacterial and antiviral ingredients so your get clean hands every time you make a piece of paper. Handmade paper makes a great art gift for someone who loves you! Great for all ages! Kits will be available for advance pickup too.
No registration required, just stop by!
Call the library for more information 412-731-2300
The Make It to Grow: Swissvale Discovers Art & Nature Residency will bring awareness to Swissvale’s creative and garden communities through independent family engagements, both outdoors and indoors. All Residency activities will encourage participants to view Carnegie Free Library of Swissvale as a valued resource and focal point of our community. This Artist in Education Residency will be led by local artist and Certified Teaching Artist (CTA) Katy DeMent.
The Residency will:
- Support the Swissvale Library in its efforts to provide educational and entertainment opportunities for families in our community.
- Provide hands-on, self-guided activities for participants of all ages.
- Produce monthly programs that educate about food justice.
- Engage the Swissvale community in learning about edible gardening opportunities and the food producing gardeners in Swissvale.
- Promote the Swissvale Edible Garden Tour (August 6-8, 2021).
- Exhibit artwork generated in conjunction with this residency.
The Residency is made possible through a partnership between Carnegie Free Library of Swissvale and the Allegheny Regional Asset District (RAD). The Residency is supported in part by the Arts in Education Partnership of the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, a state agency funded by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the National Endowment for the Arts. The Arts in Education Partner serving Allegheny, Beaver, Greene, and Washington counties is Pittsburgh Center for Arts & Media.
Make it to Grow Events
In-person Make It To Grow events will support the Swissvale Community Garden, Swissvale Farmers Market, Swissvale Community Food Pantry,and Swissvale Edible Garden Tour. The Residency will enhance local, pre-existing events with hands-on activities related to food justice. These free, outdoor events will be open to the public and for all ages.
Make it to Grow Art & Nature Kits
Learn about art, nature and food justice with a Make It to Grow kit! Designed by artist-in-residence Katy DeMent, Make It to Grow kits are fun for all ages, and can be done independently or together as a family. Pick up a new kit every month at the Swissvale Library, while supplies last.
New kits will be available on:
- March 15 – tiny greenhouse bean seed necklace and a succulent starter
- April 12 – landscape design and creative map making in your community, planning your garden, mapping your community
- May 10 – mother’s day cards and gifts with pressed flowers
- June 14 – seedlings, botanical illustrations + a veggie seedling
- July 15 – vintage specimen box watercolor insects
- August 2 – map documenting the Edible Garden Tour, photo scavenger hunt tool kit
- September 13 – printmaking kit
- October 18 – butterflies and other pollinators
- November TBD – Feed the birds – observing and illustrating our feathered friends
- December TBD – Dried, natural material animals and ornaments